Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tool #10


1. I want my students to understand that one of the reasons SBISD blocks certain websites is to protect students from inappropriate content. I want my students to also understand that violating the districts policy can lead to serious implications. I would like them to know what is digital citizenship and why it is important. Digital citizenship not only means protecting students from bad content and bad people in the digital world, but it also means that students have the power to access the wide range of information, create, and share information in the digital world, with safety in mind. And because they have the power to do such a thing, as educators we must teach our students how to judge content and navigate in this fast growing digital world.
2. Common Sense-Ed Tech Website offers great lesson plans to educate students on digital citizenship. 
3. I will use the lesson plans on Common Sense, I-safe, and Atomic Learning to teach my students about digital citizenship, in particular, cyber relationships, security malicious code, intellectual property, and privacy on the internet. The websites mentioned has great worksheet activities, like the one posted below. 
  
4. It is important for parents to also understand the idea of digital citizenship. Therefore; I plan on sending a letter home to parents explaining what is digital citizenship, what is expected of all students, and the consequences of violating the classroom and district internet policy. Parents will be required to sign the letter stating that they understand the policy and the terms and conditions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment